View Single Post
Old 03-21-2010, 05:07 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have to admit that I had not been aware of neuro TOS, but will now add it to things I pay attention to in research.

The way humans use, and disuse, the body, and the changes wrought by these on our physiology, are going to become even more of a problem in the future, as you say. I recall how hearing loss claims often have to accommodate claimants who have spend many years of their lives going to loud rock concerts, NASCAR races and other hearing-damaging events. I won't even go into the pain I feel when I see someone texting . . . my CTS hurts bad enough that I am glad I never got started texting.

However, I feel that w/c should not be held responsible for conditions that existed before exposure to a work injury. Unlike rejecting pre-existing conditions entirely, however, w/c could adopt a system whereby the increase in disability and the need for current treatment related to work duties would be compensable . . . meaning your employer would not be on the hook for your years of gaming or tennis, for that matter, but would be required to fix what broke while you were working for them making them money. I agree with apportioning the resulting permanent disability . . . problem is without records documenting prior injuries, apportionment can be terribly arbitrary.
Quote:
My concern is for the young people growing up who are constantly texting, gaming, using a laptop for school and a computer for work. It had NOTHING to do with having an extra rib, or physical shape. It's about TIME.
I have to agree whole-heartedly . . . but if you know that several activities put undue strain on a particular body system, one still has the ability and choice to balance activities to alleviate some of the negative effects. It is like someone watching their weight limiting food splurges, or cross-training so that one's body is a balance of opposing muscle sets, and strenuous activity is balanced with relaxation and stretching.

I have to say I do understand living with nerves that seem to have devised their own system of miscommunication. Not peripheral neuropathy, according to my new neuro, head of an MS clinic, because of conflicting signs, but not yet enough signs to be determined to be MS. I am in the endless spin cycle of ruling out by testing . . . I am guessing because medicine is not the exact science we all wish it were.

Thanks for the enlightenment on neuro TOS. If you have posted or have links to articles about it, could you direct me to them?

And I want to let you know that I have researched ergonomics and the computer connection to injury . . . and Microsoft and many other developers have and are working to address this issue. I think with new evidence that gaming software is being developed to become addictive, it might be the software engineers we want to target next. How many times do we get upgrades that add keystrokes to our routine? I hate that . . . and bet almost everyone else here does too!