View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 02:53 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Great minds...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paula_w View Post
Fiona,

Because you say that benadryl helps dystonia, it makes me suspect that you are lowering your acetylcholine with it. Ron once described acetylcholine and dopamine as one pulls and the other pushes. Doesn't that sound like dystonia? Acetycholine is responsible for much muscle movement. And i don't know if I'm in the right thread for this but you said in one of them that you don't think pwp are all headed for dementia and i certainly agree with you.

Dementia can result from lack of acetylcholine and happens with aging. But i wonder if too much acetylcholine is one of the problems in the first place. It's excitatory and slows the production of or even stops the production of dopamine.
Paula,

I am going to reply quickly here because I am interested on the muscle tone angle right now. I too have also began to note that my stiffness actually gets worse at night right after dinner at night when I most want to veg out and knit or watch Larry David act like an ***. At first I thought it was a PD thing and being too sedentary at night, yet I've been known to sit on my rear in the day too and I don't get that same achiness. I almost feel like it was a toxic level of levodopa in my system, but I noted that the only thing that relaxes all the tension is a half a benadry, an anticholinergic, I began to wonder after a week if we don't experience fluctuating levels of all our neurotransmitters at various times in the day or it isn't some sort of signaling gone amok based on meds? Anyone else experience this?

I will be following the IQ trail...very interesting thought!

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
paula_w (03-22-2010)