View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 06:05 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Bobbi,

Yes, it's true! Metal fillings also called amalgam or mercury fillings do expand and contract with varying temperatures. The filling eventually separates from the actual tooth and bacteria seeps in underneath the filling.... referred to as recurrent decay. The metal also corrodes just like it would in any other moist setting which also contributes to the separation.

Yes, the metal fillings do contribute to cracking of the tooth. One reason is that when they start to wear down or break down, the unfilled part of the tooth becomes vulnerable and takes quite a beating when chewing. Another reason is that metal fillings are generally placed within the biting surface of the tooth and during the expansion/contraction process they act as a wedge against the natural tooth structure causing undue pressure on these areas when we chew.

Another thing that happens is when any type filling wears out, the occlusion (bite) changes and this causes an unnatural wear pattern on all of the teeth
in the biting pattern. This too will cause teeth to crack.

Although most people may not be aware of this, it is a good idea to have fillings replaced periodically as they start to break down or wear out as a means of preventing other teeth/fillings from wearing down or breaking.

I want to caution you here if you are going to remove your metal fillings.... the mercury is continually coming off of these fillings but it is the most toxic when these fillings are being placed because it is being handled and manipulated and when they are removed because they are being hit with the drill. There is a protection protocol that must be followed to help eliminate as much of the toxicity as possible during the removal. Unfortunately, some dentists are not following this protocol and they are placing themselves, their staff and their patients at unnecessary and unhealthy risks. It is not something to shrug off or take for granted........ please at least read up about it before you have it done. A good sight to go to would be IAOMT.org.

Let me know if you want me to post more info on this protocol

Bryanna ~'.'~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbi View Post
Just wondering about something I heard at my dentist's office last week. I was told that metal fillings tend to expand - with time and due to constantly being in a moist "setting." As an effect of that expansion, teeth may crack.

So... maybe true, possibly myth?

If it is true, I want the metal out. I've alread had two teeth that have cracked.

Part of me thinks, my tooth-crackage could also be attributed to bone loss. But ... both happened like out of the blue; no symptoms or possible "warning" signs.

To go through the same redundantly when it may be preventable? I'd rather opt for replacing the fillings.

I really appreciate your info. and your insights.
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote