Thread: Confused
View Single Post
Old 03-22-2010, 06:56 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Sam, Hi and welcome.

Do you know why your doctor said you have MG? Did he run some MG antibody tests? Do you have copies? Did he do an EMG?

What's funny about eye muscles and double vision is that unless a neuro-ophthalmologist or neurologist points it out to you, you might have it and not even know it. It might be worth your while to see a neuro-ophthalmologist. They are specialized and can do tests that show fatigable eye muscle weakness.

I am a little concerned. If you have MG, and it has been confirmed with the right tests, then you should have had a discussion about your medication options. Waiting a MONTH to talk about it has the possibility for being dangerous for you. If you have a worsening of any symptoms that "feel" like muscle weakness, such as shortness of breath or difficulty swallowing, call your doctor. If it's really bad, you need to go in either to the doctor or the ER.

MG is all about muscle weakness. I don't know what brochure you got, so I may be repeating info. It gets worse upon repetitive or sustained activities, like running! It can get worse with surgery. You need to inform the doctors doing the surgery, like Kendra said, days BEFORE that your neuro has said you have MG. Certain drugs can make MG worse. A local may or may not be "fine." Any drug that sedates has a potential for making MG worse. Lots of other drugs too.

Was your only symptom a transient eyelid droop? Have you checked your eyelids later in the day? Try taking a photo of your face in the morning when you are well-rested and then later in the day. Sometimes you can't "see" the difference but photos will often reveal it.

They are doing a chest CT because sometimes people with MG have a thymoma, a tumor of the thymus gland. It's fairly rare. Some people have "hyperplasia" or an enlarged thymus gland. If they are doing contrast with the CT scan, Iodine is relatively contraindicated in MG. So is Benadryl, the drug they often give before giving Iodine!

I think you need to call your neuro and ask a lot more questions. It's pretty odd to have a neuro throw a diagnosis like this one at a patient and not discuss it more. Did they do a differential diagnosis? Did they look for any nerve palsies or anything in the brain that might've caused the drooping? Thyroid condition? Anything?

I hope you can get answers. Don't freak out! MG is manageable. There's a lot to know about it. Once you get a firm diagnosis, then we'll overwhelm you! These guys are a great source of support, as you've noticed already.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote