View Single Post
Old 01-26-2007, 12:29 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default I got a good question for ya this time!!!

Let's say the 3 hour glucose tolerance test comes back and they find out that it shows he has impaired glucose tolerance. Now what the heck does this mean and what do we do about it.

His sugar readings are around 84 (I know he's not a diabetic). But this impaired glucose tolerance is different from being a diabetic right?

So if it is found out that he has this neuropathy because he had impaired glucose tolerance, what do we do about it?

Does IVIG help this?

DOES ANYTHING HELP THIS?? I mean the only time he gets relief (sometimes the cymbalta works and sometimes it doesn't), is well he exercises and now he is doing yoga. This man is almost 60. He can't be doing what he's doing for the rest of his life. He'll bend himself into a pretzel and one day, he won't be able to get up off the floor.

So is there no relief for someone who is not a diabetic but it turns out they have impaired glucose tolerance (am I even phrasing this correctly).

He's going to want to get some answers eventually. I mean, to have all these tests, blood, (possible spinal taps), mri's , etc.etc, then be told "well, we think you might have impaired glucose tolerance (believe me, Alan never even heard of this), I'm just curious if there might be some answers.

Believe me, I know that many of you on these boards have a much much worse of PN than my Alan. I know this and my heart goes out to you.

I'm just trying to be like a pioneer in trying to find some answers that might SOMEDAY help anybody who has PN.

His neuro studied under Dr. Lantov who is somewhat of a pioneer in IVIG and neuropathyies and cells, (I'm not putting this right) but you understand.

We baby boomers are getting older and if someone soon doesn't open up and start some real research into the causes of the various neuropathies, well, what's going to happen to us as we hit our 70's and 80's.???

I mean, they can keep us alive with the Plavix, and antibiotics, and heart meds, and blood pressure pills, but if you have PN, you really want to take a hammer and bang yourself sometimes. This hasn't affected me thank god, but I will never forget the nights when Alan would jump off the bed at 1 oclock in the morning screaming his head off and I had to slap another fentanyl pain patch on him (and I wasn't supposed to slap any more patches on him) but he was in such pain in between the toes) and also it seems there was a really long scratch on the top of his foot (we could barely see it, he must have scratched his foot with the nail of his other foot) but it affected the neuropathy and he went out of his mind. This was before Dr. Theirl. I did not know what to do. He was going nuts so I ran into the other room where we had the patches and I found a 25 patch and just slapped it on his back. That brought him to 125 of the fentanyl. He just went "oooh, thank god". It worked immediately. He said "my foot was on fire". I put cold compresses on his foot and by the time the second patch wore off, the coolness of he compresses did some good. I mean, that night I got a real lesson in what PN is all about and how it can affect you painwise.

I mean, there has to be more than opiates to be the answer to this. Know what I mean?????

Mel

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY

MelodyL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote