View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 04:34 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Mo,

It sounds like we probably have the same type of flipper. Mine is like a retainer thing that fits on the roof of my mouth with a fake tooth on it that fits in the place of the extraction site.

Don't worry about the eating thing. You might do just fine eating with the flipper.

I did not have to have a bone graft. I thought I was going to have one, but the oral surgeon said since I am having my dental implant done in about 2 1/2 to 3 months I didn't need one. But if I was going to wait longer to get my dental implant then I would have to get a bone graft. I guess bone grafts vary from person to person. I'm assuming he saw in my x-ray that I have enough bone to put my dental implant it. Not sure how that all works.

The first day of the extraction I rested and took it easy at home. I did take something all day for the pain because that is what I was instructed to do for the first day. But was never in a lot of pain. The next day I didn't feel much pain at all. I don't think I even took anything for pain until bed that evening. After that it was just sore and achy like it was healing. Sometimes it had a dull throb. But it was not that painful for me. Wearing the flipper at first was uncomfortable because it was too tight and because the gum was healing. But the dentist adjusted the flipper and as the gum heals the flipper feels better.

I will be wearing my flipper until the dental implant process is complete. So I am thinking for 6 to 9 more months. Not quite sure. I am sure hoping I will be finished with all this by the end of the year.

It took a while for my tooth to be diagnosed as having a root fracture. I had a root canal at the beginning of the year and that only made the tooth worse. And the fracture wasn't showing up on the x-ray. So it was a long road to finally not have to worry about this tooth anymore. I remember the days leading up to the extraction were stressful for me, but everything worked out. And I know everything will work out for you too.

Keep us posted!
Alex123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote