Thread: Confused
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2010, 06:41 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Sam, The reason I asked if you had more than a "clinical" diagnosis and have had the tests done is because some doctors are not experts at MG. MG is a clinical diagnosis backed up with tests but without the tests being done, a doctor can't be certain that a patient has MG. I didn't want to "assume" that you had tests done. It would actually be useful to have an EMG or Single Fiber EMG. Most MG experts will not give a final diagnosis of MG without either those or a repetitive nerve stimulation test being done. Why? Because they need to "see" what the muscles/neuromuscular junction are doing.

This is an overwhelming disease at first. You do need to know about the "what ifs" because MG can be okay or it can get bad, as these guys have said. I think the most important thing you need to know about MG is that if you push it, it will push back. Meaning, if you do too much, MG can get much worse. And it can get worse exponentially, like earthquakes.

You might want to write down a bunch of questions for your neurologist. The first one being: If I have MG, why didn't you at least give me Mestinon?! Mestinon treats the symptoms of MG, not the autoimmune process. It can give you more of the "muscle gas" called Acetylcholine (ah-seat-ill-co-lean) that people with MG lack.

I'm not trying to be condescending or anything by giving you a lot of info. There's a lot to learn when you have MG. It's hard to get your head around the fact that you have a disease let alone all that comes with it.

I hope you will call your neuro if your symptoms get worse. Take it easy.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote