View Single Post
Old 09-15-2006, 10:09 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

1) I make rice cereal in the crockpot. We like to have leftovers, so I use 2.5 cups of long grain brown rice with 11 cups of water. Cook it on low all night. I always stir in raisins in the morning. You can add a variety of dried fruits, chopped nuts, cinnamon, whatever suits you. My husband likes to add soymilk and maple syrup to his.

2) You can also chop an apple and banana, and mix it with a variety of dried fruits and chopped nuts, and maybe some coconut. Add cinnamon and maple syrup, if desired.

3) We also eat kasha. For one serving, toast 1/2 cup raw buckwheat groats in a dry cast iron skillet. Then add 1 cup water, bring to a boil, and simmer for 10 minutes. Top with milk-of-your-choice (we use soy or almond) and sweetener of your choice (we use maple syrup or blackstrap molasses).

4) Cooked millet. Cook a pot of millet. Add a bag of frozen blueberries and some frozen raspberries (or fresh, if available!), and stir in.

These may contain too many grains for some folks (except for option 2!), but they have worked well for us.
jamietwo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote