View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 12:26 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default GF

My cousin, whose youngest daughter has full-blown celiac disease (and was, evidently, born with it) has finally, at the age of 40+ been tested by endoscopy. Twice. The first time revealed nothing. The second time they found the culprit vili that had been damaged. So she too has it, yet all her bloodwork and other tests fell within the normal range. I've had the blood tests and the allergy tests; all came back negative but I've not eaten gluten (knowingly) for some fifteen years now. (I do have the occasional "fall off the wagon" -- something I always regret.) I've been told I could be just gluten intolerant, wheat intolerant, etc. but have finally gotten to the point that it doesn't much matter what the tests say. I know I feel lousy when I eat it so I don't. And I'm deeply suspicious that my "idiopathic peripheral neuropathy" was caused by years of eating gluten. My cousin has also changed her diet to gluten-free -- pretty easy with a ten year old in the house who even has her own toaster, she's so sensitive to gluten in ANY form. We all feel better. Go for it. It's not worth the agony of feeling lousy. And gluten free products are more and more available in stores now.

FWIW - best of luck.

Marcia
4aulkner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote