View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 10:07 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzest View Post
Hello bud. First off, I am terribly sorry to hear about what you are going through. My only possible comfort I can give you is my story. Although my concussion does not seem as intense as yours, I suffered a concussion five months ago that have given me a multitude of severe symtoms. Some of them were/are extremely blurry vision (tunnel like, very sensitive to light), lethargy, head aches, anxiety, depression (month and a half), decreased sex drive (virtually none) and many, many more. I, like yourself, would become very hit and miss when I was drinking. Sometimes I could forget a little, other times I took it to heart and became even more depressed. Prior to my concussion I was the happiest, most outgoing and funny guy you could ever meet. My injury caused me to become very dependent on friends/family/girl I was involved with. I became very socially withdrawn and felt like trash, just as you describe. These symptoms began to wein three months ago. The improvements were EXTREMELY slow and unnoticable day to day. The trick i've found is to track your improvement week to week. Very slowly things will come back to you. My depression/concussion was the darkest time of my life by far.

Five months in, I have regained a lot of what I had lost emotionally. Although I am still on sleeping pills and weining myself off, I am a much more functional and happy person. Time does not inch by, nor do I stare at the clock anymore. Life is much brighter. Although i'm no where near 100 percent, I know that I AM getting better and that thought makes everything bearable. My advice to you is to rest as much as you can. I made the mistake of taking on 55 hour work weeks through the heat of my depression because I wanted normalcy. You will feel MUCH better when you rest and are idle (even though it's emotionally difficult). The best thing I can tell you is that there IS hope, you WILL get better, I know because I went through something similar. I lost hope, never thought I would get better. I am, and just like you, I more than anything else would kill for the day I wake up "normal" again. You will buddy, keep the faith. Concussions are by defiintion temporary. Keep yourself out of harms way, rest up, and try and stay as hopeful and positive as possible. The happiness you lost will return to you. All the best
My man......I appreciate you taking the time to write that....it means a great deal. I agree with everything you have written haha......It's just wild, and how most of the doctors just try and not shoot straight about this. Alls I've heard is new meds and no justifying answers(which I know PCS is not well researched or known for knowing answers to. I've been going to U of Iowa Neurology department. I recently found the U of Buffalo Sports and Medicine Concussion Clinic, which I am tossing the idea of going out there for there studies and therapy that have gotten athletes suffering from the same hell as we have, and got their lives back........I'm just hitting some real lows now, and no one really understands until they have gone through it or are going through it. I appreciate the comment and glad to hear your getting better bro. Hope is up and down, and like you said, Never been the guy to lose hope, or not be the life of the party.....thanks again!
muddyriverrugby11 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote