View Single Post
Old 01-26-2007, 04:08 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

The store doesn't use a scoop for their whole grains, you just have to pull a lever and the grains come out. I stopped buying bulk brown rice flour because it used a scoop that could also be used for the semolina flour right next to it. I figured the the sweet brown rice would be safe since I didn't see obvious signs of possible cross contamination from other bins.

The only thing I did question was whether or not there could be other grain kernels mixed in with the sweet brown rice. I figured it might happen during processing. The kernels seem to look a little more like other gluten grains and less like rice to me. I thought I had read somewhere that this was possible, but am not sure. Has anyone else heard this? I also don't wash my grains before grinding them. I don't know if you could wash, then dry, and then grind them, but it would probably work. It just might be hard to dry them thoroughly enough to avoid any mold growth, but I'm not sure. Good idea

I've been gluten free for about a year and a half, but have been finding areas of hidden gluten the deeper I look. Some recent things were that I licked some envelopes, and wore lipstick that I haven't verified as being gluten free. I only recently found out that those are possible sources. I have checked all of my vitamins and supplements and they are supposed to be free of gluten, so that's good.

I also do have a number of other food intolerances and have been dairy free for over 3 years now. It seems lately that I'm uncovering more such as coconut and corn. It certainly could be that I'm also intolerant to sweet brown rice since it is so starchy. If nothing else, my system might be so sensitive right now that anything hard to digest might cause it problems.

My husband and I just love our VitaMix! It was pretty expensive at first, but we have had no problems at all and have been using it at least twice a day for the last 3 years. It was definitely worth it for us
jennyj is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote