View Single Post
Old 03-24-2010, 10:52 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan Cyclist View Post
Thinking further about replicating my experiences with forced pace cycling, I thought I would share with this group that several people have asked for help in setting up a program like Jay's. We're close to starting one here in Seattle with the support of a local hospital, bike shop and good people. I'm working on putting together a template for people to follow anywhere. Is there interest in that?
Nan Cyclist, I would love to hear your ideas about setting up a cycling program. I'd also love to see the poster of Jay's research. Please send it if you can.

I am in San Francisco which, like Seattle, is a a huge cycling city. I have been a cyclist for years. I have to think it helped delay the onset of my PD symptoms.

I do a lot of endurance events. These are typically day long rides with long distances and big hills. My cadence is usually 60-70 rpm on huge hills and 90-100 rpm on flats. I try to keep at 60-80 percent of HR and try to go 60-90 minutes between rest stops during events. Super easy gears are the key to high cadence and mine are about as easy as you can get (I use a combination of mountain bike a road bike gearing).

Based on my own experience, I think the benefits may be highest with a combination of moderate to high rpm plus moderate to high HR plus time plus a consistent pace. The balance aspect of outdoor cycling is probably also beneficial.

I have both arm tremors and a crampy left foot. Once on the bike, they are pretty much non-existent. I do worry that i'll lose my balance and get hit by a car; that's why I like participating in events. The food and companionship are great (and motivating!) and often roads are closed or traffic is light. And since there are cyclists of all levels on the road, you never need to worry about being the slowest one.

Keep pedaling,

Anne
tremorgrrrl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote