View Single Post
Old 01-26-2007, 04:55 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Visit to surgeon

I saw a surgeon today to discuss this thyroid problem. Much to my surprise, he wanted to remove only the lobe of the thyroid with the large (25 cent size) nodule, not the entire thyroid. When I asked what about the other lobe with the 2 small nodules in it, he got this blank look on his face. He did not seem to know anything about these, even though he had the reports. This does NOT inspire a lot of confidence in his attention to detail... If I had not had copies of reports with me, I would have thought I had misread them.

Even after pointing this out, he still felt removal of one lobe was the right way to go. I am not so sure about this. I have made an appointment to see an Endocrinologist, then I will seek a second opinion from another surgeon.

I don't think he liked me very much, because I asked too many questions-like how could he prevent the vasospasms I get with IV's.

I was noticing the medical journals in his bookcase-many, many-most of which were very old. I thought most doctors kept up with their field by reading current medical journals? Since his secretary was using a typewriter, I don't think he is reading online... Boy, she did not like it when I said I hadn't seen one of those for a while... Oops...

He did have a WHOLE BUNCH of new golf magazines on his table though... What kind of message are we getting here??? This makes me wonder if he keeps up with his field, or moreso with his handicap...

The number of drug reps in the halls (many of whom were arriving with catered lunches) was unbelievable... Some had on business attire with verrrrry short skirts... Amazing... I felt confident they were all M.S. in biology, since they are no doubt educating our doctors...

I was trying to think of something positive to say about this visit. I came up with two things: a picture on the wall and his chairs were comfortable...
Cathie
Yorkiemom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote