View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 01:16 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathie Glenn View Post
I am so sorry this happened to your beloved mother. Why is it that as we get older the medical profession overlooks so many diseases and chalks it up to age? My mother is 90 and this has happened to her as well. Where did your mother live? Mine lives in Winston-Salem, NC. You mentioned she lived close to Duke? There are chances she had MG for many years in a very mild form. I had a friend who died of cancer last year and never knew he had MG until the later stages of cancer. Couldn't swallow, the whole bit. We are misdiagnosed so many times. When mine first started, my eye dr. told me it was my fibromyalgia and weak eye muscles causing my double vision. Wrong!

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Kathie Glenn
Kathie--Thanks so much for your comments. My mom lived in little ole Goldsboro...not THE center for neuro, I'm afraid. You are right, her MD chalked it up to age and a mild stroke--go home, talk a lot to help the slurred speech improve, exercise, etc. Infuriating! I am sure you are right, that she had had it for a good while, unnoticed. Just 4 years ago, she was riding a camel in the Holy Land and then riding a sea-doo with us at the lake. She was remarkable.

I can totally understand what you are saying regarding your mother and then your friend who was diagnosed with MG in the late stages of cancer--that is awful! I hope your mother has someone close to her who can go to doctor's visits with her. We all need an advocate, don't we?

It is disconcerting to read here and see how LONG it has taken some people to get a diagnosis...unbelievable! I read of one person where it took 7 years!!

Are you in NC? How long have you been diagnosed? My prayers are with YOU, dear one. MG is certainly a tough...tough disease. I know you value your good days! Hugs and prayers to you....Babs

OH--to ALL. SO sorry about my double posts above! I thought I had lost the first one, so I re-wrote. Now you've got two versions of the same thing! LOL. Some days I'm more ditzy than others!

I do have one question. Do any of you with MG have other family members with it as well? My mother and I were very similar and both suffer(ed) from psoriatic arthritis (auto-immune right there!). I told my husband when Mom was going through all this, that I had this feeling, this fear that I would end up w/MG one day. THEN...a few nights later, my brother had a dream that another family member was diagnosed. I am sure these are just thoughts/fears, etc. from the shock and trauma of this quick ordeal. But...just wondering about genetics and MG. Going to check it out....
pickingupthepieces is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote