View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 06:57 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi prairiegirl,

That's great that you like your smile and feel that your denture looks..."like you".... :-))

Actually all dentures are custom made from impressions that are taken of the patients mouth before the extractions are done. Very often, the dentures are ready ahead of time so the patient can wear them immediately after the extractions. For whatever reason, your dentist chose to wait and that's fine too! Either way, it is important to keep seeing the denturist for adjustments as your mouth heals from the surgery. You will probably be eating a soft diet for several more weeks and that too is normal.

The fee that you were quoted for the implants and implant retained denture sounds like it's in the ballpark. It is important to wait the 6 months for the jawbone to heal a bit before putting in the implants. Then there is another waiting period of about 3-6 months for the implants to integrate with the jawbone before making the implant denture. First things first... see how you do with this denture and then decide if you need to do the implants.

Although there are relatively few dental implants that fail when considering the many thousands that are done every day..... there is still no guarantee that the implants will be successful because they can fail at anytime for a variety of reasons unrelated to the actual implant surgery. I am surprised that the endodontist returned half of your money for your root canals! I would guess that he didn't have much hope for the teeth he root canaled in the first place. But still, that's good that you received the refund!

Hang in there..... every day will get better and new challenges will surface but you will do ok in the long run ;-))

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairiegrl View Post
That is the way it was set up with my dentist and the denturist. Mine are "custom" ---an impression was taken of my "old" teeth and the plate made from that. I do have to say that they look very good/realistic/like me. The idea was to heal for two weeks or more rather than "instant" same day dentures.

I went today to see the denturist and he did fix the denture a lot ---much more comfy to wear but I still cannot eat anything more than mush. I guess that will come in time??? I was quoted $15 K for a 4 implant setup and plate in the fall should I wish to do that. He said I would love that --no gagging etc. But also said there is no guarantee with implants --I have to wait until the fall (6 months) until the gums are shrunk etc. so I have time to think about that. It's amazing they can charge that kind of $$ and not offer any kind of guarantee. Even my endodontist gave me back 1/2 of my $$ from my failed root canals !! I guess I just have to be patient (not one of my great strengths according to my husband !! LOL
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote