View Single Post
Old 03-27-2010, 09:27 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default buying equipment

I haven't looked into price, but generally speaking, if there is a piece of adaptive equipment that is out of your price range but better suited to your mobility needs and quality of life, there may be options. If, for instance, a Segway is better than a motorized scooter (and I don't know if it is or isn't) for balance issues, safety, integration into the mobile community, and portability, then you can make the case pretty easily for a discount from the company, or, failing that, for your local Lions Club, Rotary, Veterans Association, church or synagogue, women's aid society, community foundation or other group to cover the cost. Accompany your detailed request with a letter of support from your doctor and you may be surprised to see who would like to help, especially if it promotes your independence, health and ability to "give back" to the community (volunteering for instance). To learn which groups in your community might consider such a request (for adaptive equipment), consult your community foundation, a reference librarian in your town, the Mayor's office, and/or the Foundation Center online. I know many individuals who have gone this route for braille notetakers, minivans, computers or wheelchairs, though not yet for a Segway. Hope this helps...
rose of his heart is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote