View Single Post
Old 03-27-2010, 02:56 PM
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Default Exactly Ada !

I agree wholeheartedly!

And that's what makes me wonder WHY so many people are coming to the boards asking about these implants their Dr's are recommending!

They are being pushed like never before! And the COST!
I work for a radiation oncologist and I'm not kidding, these implants the Drs are pushing end up costing the insurance's about the price range of a full 9 wk course of daily radiation treatments! My Dr told me the average cost of each unit. I can't really remember the exact, but the actual SCS unit only cost in the very low thousand dollar range......Then WHY, when all is said and done, the insurance has forked out over
$70-100K in costs! There is one #@$% of a markup and it all points to GREED. And in the economy we face!
These poor pts in pain out of shear desperation, go ahead and try the units. I am apalled at this! Yes, there is the surgery expense and facility fees, etc.....but HOW does a 10K unit end up costing insurane $100K !! ....and this is just regarding the 'textbook cases'.......when complications arise or they end up having to be removed ......add that cost to it all!
Grrrrrr! I have such angry passion about all this!

If it weren't for support groups like this one, or the countless hours spent doing our OWN homework on the internet trying desperately to get any info we can......we'd be entirely lost.
Most doctors hand the patient a DVD from the implant company and send them out the door. Basically giving the impression "don't come back until we schedule your surgery".
That's IT!

People need to GRILL their Drs about this!......but then, like my arrogant 'busy' Dr.....they just point to the DVD and say,
GO HOME and watch that.....I have another patient waiting!!

Well, the DVD....for the most part is straight from the company and it basically paints a 'flowery' picture about how wonderful they are.....
And that's all the patient has to go on.....
Yes, there are advocates, but i asked several times to be able to speak to one or more......my 'busy' Dr office never got back with me. I go online to the company's website to see the patient stories...and of COURSE they are all successes! Why would the company portray the negative stories.

I'm probably blowing too much steam here ...... and I know there ARE exceptions. Some doctors really DO work well with their patients.
I'm seeing an average of 1, 2 or more people a DAY coming to NT regarding these units asking for help!

Anyway, this was a good discussion , so thank you Bobber and JoMar for bring attention to Dr Hooshmand's work.....

.....please pray that I won't be one of the "1/4" percentile to end up paralyzed! I've had mine for only a month.
Yes, I'm a bit nervous after reading these things, but heck, the Dr's SURE don't share this information!!!

Thank you all

Rae
Rrae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
bobber (03-27-2010), dreambeliever128 (03-28-2010), Kakimbo (03-27-2010), Wilbyfree (03-27-2010)