Thread: How I Got MG
View Single Post
Old 03-28-2010, 06:41 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Stellatum.
OMG! Your post sounds like my situation...and I am so glad to read your story!!!..I am in tears as I write this.....I have been struggling to because I swear somehow that my unresolved thyroid issues has somehow caused this...

In 2006, about 3 months into my pregnancy (third baby--my sweet baby girl) my heart rate when up into the 150's, I was sweating like crazy, hot flashes, hyper, and a bit maniac...thyroid levels were checked and I was diagnosed with moderate to severe hyperthyroidism. I, like you, did not want to eliminate my thyroid because I was a breastfeeding mom, etc...I also chose to take PTU. After about 8 months after her birth, it magically resolved into a mild case of hyperthyroidism. Endocrine doc encouraged me to get off the medication and just watch my levels...we watched them until late 2007...levels were looking good...off medication and was told that I was in remission from Graves Disease....but my thyroid antibodies are very high. (My endocrine doctor only looked at my TSH, T3, T4 levels, etc...and in the past, never ever mentioned my thyroid antibodies...)...

Anyway,...after a very stressful divorce (hubby left me for a friend) in late 2007...I start to notice that I am having blurred vision, eyes acting funny--seems like I am having to hold my eyebrows up more, headaches, wobby gait, and slurred speech....numb hands that just won't act right after I work all day...especially after typing on computer or needlepointing....A physician saw me one day at work and pulled me aside asking me if I was okay...she sent me for a MRI and arranged for me to see an adult neurologist that next day...he diagnosed me with MG right away...even though all my tests came back negative...CT scan even showed normal thymus...I was in denial especially since all tests were negative, I was chalking it all up to "stress"...so I also did the losing weight game...got a little better...than boom beginning of 2009...My symptoms got worse and I was starting to "fall" too....By this time, I just got married again to a awesome, very understanding, concerned hubby....but I didn't know what to do...I went back to my neurologist explained that I was in denial but that I really needed his help again to get me straightened out...he put me back on the mestinon..and IVIG every 8 weeks. I was getting worse and worse....so I snuck out in 7/2009..and got a second opinion in Baltimore....and the neurologist there was awesome too and she identified me right away as also having MG even though test results were negative....she changed up my mestinon, had me do IVIG every 4 weeks, added cellcept,....told me to follow her advice in order to get my body under better control from the MG. (I also went back to my endocrine doc during this time and he told me that he did not need to follow me anymore because my Graves was in remission)...My neuro back home has been great to allow her(baltimore doc) to call the shots...he just lets me do whatever she says...(he really does not have many patients with MG...and the ones that he has are older than 65..he was also not encouraging in the beginning of me having a thymectomy--he said "it was a painful surgery that would cause a terrible scar...for no reason because it was not going to help anyway"...but he even admits that he is learning from my experiences...)...so, anyway..I have been following the doc in Baltimore's advice....and I have just had the thymectomy....I am a little scared...I know that I am just shy of being 2 weeks post op....but my symptoms feel worse instead of better....the Baltimore docs told me that it would probably be 6-9 months before I go into remission...and that I would need to continue all my current treatments...but I was secretly praying for instant miracle, I guess....

Sorry for the LONG story....but I have been wondering over and over... if there is a correlation between " my graves disease remission" and My "MG". Did I have MG all along...or did the remission of graves and life stress cause it..... I am completely out of denial now...especially with experiencing a scary MG crisis during my thymectomy...I know that I have MG...even with the MG tests that they tested me for are all negative....I know that with all my heart--we ( 2 docs and me) have the right diagnosis.... I just wish I knew what lies ahead for me...if indeed my high thyroid antibodies are causing this...I wonder do all antibodies that they test for and those that they do not test for......cause the same harm in MG patients...should I also ask someone if I also need have my thyroid removed to increase my chance of remission...but all of my thyroid levels are within normal limits now...just my thyroid antibodies are extremely high...

I am just so happy to hear that someone might be in my same boat....I am a yo-yo dieter myself...I lose the same 30-40 pounds about every 2 years...I am on the losing side of the weight at this point in time...and going to do my best to keep it off!!

MG is a very interesting disease....and so frustrating too!!!
cricket001 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote