Thread: So Cal Surgeons
View Single Post
Old 01-26-2007, 10:34 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Johannakat,

My husband had a re-do in Denver last month. His first two surgeries here in Seattle failed (1st rib resection and scalene removal) because the surgeon forgot to remove the periosteum and the rib grew back and really went to town slicing and dicing up the brachial plexus and surrounding tissue. Anyway, that's off topic.

I did a lot of research and decided to go to Denver because it's really the mecca for TOS surgery. Dr. David Roos (retired) in Denver is the grandfather of the procedure and Drs. Annest, Brantigan and Sanders were all his proteges. They all practiced together in differing configurations over the years but have since separated physically and philosophically. But irregardless, there is a wealth of wisdom and knowledge in Denver because of the sheer number of procedures done in the area. So if you are blessed enough to be able to go there for a consult, I wouldn't hesitate to go.

To respond to your other questions. Dr. Brantigan's bedside was fine. He lives about 2 blocks from the hospital and gave us his home number to call in an emergency, which we did one night and he responded promptly. After the surgery, Brantigan hooked us up with a PT who was really fabulous. The guy really knew TOS, he even attends some surgeries so he can see the musculature of the syndrome. As for your last question, the jury is still out as to the efficacy of the surgery, this is a year long recovery as you all know. But we remain hopeful, my husband attends PT religiously, does his glides regularly, and we just wait to see how he heals. I guess it is worth noting, however, that he has reduced his pre-op pain medication levels, so that says something!

Good for you for doing your research. Good Luck!

Erin
Erin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote