View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 09:28 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Bryanna,
Thanks so much! I know.. looking back, i have no idea why the dentist decided to do the apico knowing that it actually goes through more bone. I'm so disappointed that I made the decision to even do it, but if the dentist is telling me that is the best plan then how was I supposed to know? That's why I get very anxious about all this because I never know if Im making the right decision. I should've just had them go in and explore, which was what one of my other dentist had suggested originally. Oh well.
I am going in for the procedure today I am really nervous, but I know it's better to get it done sooner than later. I don't ever want to take the flipper out because Im so nervous of seeing myself without a tooth! Ahh. I'll be sure to get back to you of how it goes. I'm sure I will have many more questions.
Thanks so much again you have both made me feel much better about this!
Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi mo,

I feel so bad that you have gone through so much with this tooth. Your dental problem is very common and just so you know.... everything you have written indicates an infection. The sooner you get this tooth out the better!

Your situation is a bit different than Alex in that you had the apicoectomy which in itself causes a void in the bone above the tooth. The dentist will not know the extent of the void until he removes the tooth. Again, this condition is always seen when a apico has been done.

The down time after the extraction varies from person to person. It would be a good idea to plan on a few restful days after the extraction and prepare a nutritious, soft food diet ahead of time. One that you can easily put together without too much thought. Unless your dentist instructs you otherwise, it is also important to wear the flipper for the first 24 hours after the extraction and then the next day take it out to clean it, give your mouth a rest and then wear it for several more hours the second day. By the third day you may need to see your dentist for an adjustment. Wearing the flipper at the onset does a few things. One, it acts as a bandade and protection over the extraction site. Second, it prevents the gum tissue from swelling alot. Third, the shape of the tooth on the flipper acts like a template along the gum as the surgical site is healing. So it's advantageous to wear the flipper as much as possible in the beginning and also throughout the healing process because it can actually help shape the level of gum tissue so the permanent restoration will look more natural.

I know this is scary and you'd rather do anything other than this..... but you realy will be fine. Please try not to worry and please keep in touch here!

Bryanna
mo27 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote