View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 10:23 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanna View Post
Hi tinglytoes,

Technically not a "vitamin," vitamin D is in a class by itself. Its metabolic product, calcitriol, is actually a secosteroid hormone that targets over 2000 genes (about 10% of the human genome) in the human body. Current research has implicated vitamin D deficiency as a major factor in the pathology of at least 17 varieties of cancer as well as heart disease, stroke, hypertension, autoimmune diseases, diabetes, depression, chronic pain, osteoarthritis, osteoporosis, muscle weakness, muscle wasting, birth defects, periodontal disease, and more.
The skin produces approximately 10,000 IU vitamin D in response 20–30 minutes SUMMER sun exposure—50 times more than the US government's recommendation of 200 IU per day!

How To Get Enough Vitamin D:
There are 3 ways for adults to insure adequate levels of vitamin D:
•regularly receive MIDDAY sun exposure in the LATE SPRING, SUMMER and EARLY FALL, exposing as much of the skin as possible (being careful to never burn).
•regularly use a sun bed (avoiding sunburn) during the colder months.
•take 5,000 IU per day for 2–3 months, then obtain a 25-hydroxyvitamin D test. Adjust your dosage so that blood levels are between 50–80 ng/mL (or 125–200 nM/L) year-round.

Vitamin D's Co-factors:
Vitamin D has co-factors that THE BODY NEEDS in order to utilize vitamin D properly. They are:
•magnesium
•zinc
•vitamin K2
•boron
•genestein
•a tiny amount of vitamin A

Magnesium is the most important of these co-factors. In fact, it is common for rising vitamin D levels to exacerbate any underlying magnesium deficiency. If one is having problems supplementing with vitamin D, a MAGNESIUM deficiency could be the reason why.
End of literature.

Most supplements are synergistic. This means that they need other supplements in order to be effective. This fact is so important to know because it can be a waste of time and money if we are not properly absorbing and utilizing the supplements that we take.

Hope this info is helpful!

Bryanna
Thanks Bryanna, I am glad to read that the huge bolus of D2 can cause upset. Which was the reason I had to stop it. My only other concern is that the co-factors in my case include magnesium. My kidney doc usually tests for magnesium due to some kind of negative affect on the kidneys. I have no idea how to balance everything. Luckily the sun is beginning to shine again. Hopefully with adding the Liquid BioD Imulsion Forte, the metabolizing issue will be moot. If you know anything about the issue of mg and kidney health please pass it on. Thanks for the great information. It helps!! TT
tinglytoes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote