View Single Post
Old 03-29-2010, 03:58 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default How to Give Kitty Their Meds

Step One: Let someone else do it.
Step Two: Repeat Step One

Just need a place to vent about my kids.

I have five cats - my kids. Started with 2, then adopted one from a rescue agency, then had 2 kittens show up on my doorstep. Some call me the cat whisperer - others the crazy cat lady. I love them all, and wouldn’t give them up for anything – except to let someone else force meds down their throats.

Our troubles started 2 weeks ago, when we had to rush my precious Tigre to the animal ER in the middle of the night because he was having difficulty breathing. The ER was a horrible experience. They kept trying to negotiate for my cat’s life like they were negotiating for a used car. I finally told them to just get him comfortable and we would take him to our own vet the next day. No, it was the same day – by that time it was 4 am and our vet opened in 3 hours.

Our vet found a tumor in his lung. He is 16 years old, and has had more difficulty the last 2 years, but his tests always showed him to be healthy ‘for a cat his age’. Not being ready to give him up, we are giving him meds 3 times daily to keep the fluids off his lungs and keep him comfortable. And, he is comfortable. If he weren’t, I wouldn’t put him through that. When he is no longer comfortable, I will let him go. But, I really need this time to say goodbye.

Then last week Cagney & Lacey, the 2 little girls, started sneezing and coughing. Back to the vet. They have colds. I have always had healthy cats – never even knew cats could get colds. We have to force a dropper full of meds down each of their throats twice a day and they are younger, stronger and have sharper claws that Tigre. Forget wrapping them in a towel – they manage to squirm right out of that.

You would think things couldn’t get worse. Wrong. Over the weekend one of Cagney’s eyes turned red and constantly watering. It just made me hurt to look at her, and I knew she was absolutely miserable, but didn’t want to take her back to the ER after the bad experience there.

So, back to the vet again today. My husband just walked through the door with her. She has an eye infection. We now have to apply ointment 3 times daily. She is going to love that! I wonder if my hands and arms will ever heal.

The vet said this is probably a complication of the cold, but we will have to watch our other cats close, as it will be more contagious. I just bet this all started with that awful animal ER.

Oh Well, at least Scooter and Ollie are healthy. Yes I am knocking on wood.

Thanks for letting me vent. I feel better now.

My SFN story:
plgerrard is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote