View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 05:55 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Know how you feel about Emergency Vets!

I used to have a horse [kept elsewhere] and a cat at home... The good thing about this practice was that they had vets on call 24/7. The bad thing was it was a 30 minute drive to get there [not fun w/an already unhappy cat!]. But, my cats always seemed to need care late Sat or Sun nites.
Far better and cheaper tho than the metro type PET-ER's! Go in w/the clear intention that if not totally life threatening just stabilize till I can see MY vet. But don't tell them that rite off. Then compare the $$$'s. One cat of mine had lost a fight outdoors [he was getting older and no longer king of the block] Took him to the Pet ER and they wanted 5 times what a normal vet'd charge to do the cleaning stitching anti-b thing w/pills to go than the vet did. I said stabilize and I'll see my vet in the AM. Did and saved bunches $$'s
Call your vet's office when needed...bet that vet is in a group that has other vets on call on each nite. So, likely you'll get better and cheaper care. Vets always leave emergency #'s on their nite phone machines. USE that and call!
It is good and honest to give a creature care, but not at the expense of needing to take out another mortgage on your house!
As for giving cat meds down the throat? Got an eyedropper? OK wrap cat in a damp thick towell, leaving head out. Pry open mouth, spritz, then clamp mouth shut really fast. IF you get it rite at the gullet? It'll go straight down.
Then give cat a treat and let go! Cat sulks a bit? Then comes back. The damp towell somehow is harder for them to wriggle out of, never understood why? But why question what works? Less fights less stress for all. - j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
plgerrard (03-31-2010)