View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 06:15 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi mo,

Well........ I imagine you feel some relief because you still have your tooth. However, I'm sorry to hear that things didn't go as planned because you geared yourself up to have the tooth removed which really would have solved the problem.

Unfortunately, most fractures in a tooth cannot be seen clinically because they form internally within the tooth and can therefore only be found once the tooth is extracted and evaluated. If the fracture is large enough to cause a splintering of the tooth, then it can be seen on an xray and sometimes clinically as well. Generally a dentist will diagnose a fractured tooth based on the patients symptoms and radiographic history.

Unfortunately, I have seen many patients who have undergone apicos, even multiple apicos on one tooth. Basically they are done as a heroic effort to "retain", not cure, a diseased tooth. Most often they are done on patients who have not accepted the idea of losing their tooth yet.

Mo, the truth of the matter is that your tooth is not healthy. Irrelevant of what is done to it or the bone surrounding it, the tooth is not healthy. Because the procedure has already been done, I'm not going to go into anymore detail about that here because it would just upset you.

It is wise to have an xray of that area twice a year at your dental cleaning appointments to monitor any changes in that area of the bone .... or sooner if you develop any swelling, pimple on the gum, redness or pus coming from that area.

I hope you are not too uncomfortable and wish you the best of possible outcomes!!

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo27 View Post
Hii,
Ok so i basically had the weirdest experience yesterday. I didn't get my tooth out after all this!! The doctor who was doing my implant is not the same doctor who i originally went to for my partial apico. I changed doctors because I moved and heard good things about another doctor. Basically, he wanted to go in an check to make sure there was a root fracture instead of taking the other dr's word for it.. Turns out he didnt see a fracture! I dont get how this is possible, but instead of taking the tooth out he ended up doing an apico and bone graft. Have u ever heard of such a thing?? I was shocked. He said there could still be a chance it's a hidden fracture but he couldnt see taking my tooth out if he didnt see it. So weird. Im scared to get my hopes up bc im skeptical this wont work and ill still have to do it. But for now im happy to have my tooth. He has me on antibiotics for a week and i have to go back in 3 weeks. We will see i guess. What a nightmare!
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote