Thread: SCS Newbie
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 08:56 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default SCS Newbie

Hello Everyone!!

I am so excited that I found this site! It's so nice to hear everyone's stories and experiences! So, since everyone is in a sharing mood , I will share my story (short version).....
I was diagnosed with DDD (degenerative disc disease) when I was 14, I am currently 35, though I tell people I'm 25). Since I was so young, no doctor wanted to touch me, surgically, not that I wanted it, I just wanted to be able to join my class in gym class!!! But I went through years and years of PT, tens units, back braces, tons of meds! Then finally injections came available!! I can't even tell you how many times I have been stuck and in what places, because at this time, there were three levels that were totally shot, hardly any disc fluid left, and no one knew where the pain was coming from. I also had two nerve denervations. Then I found a great neurologist who really spent some time with me. He also didn't know what level was the problem so he wanted to perform a discogram, OMG, the worst thing EVER! Anyway, so he performed a fusion at L5-S1, didn't work!!!! So I kind of lost it mentally for awhile. I just wanted to give up, I was seeing a pain counselor, big deal. I actually did give up for awhile, I just couldn't take any more disappointment. Then I found my doctor now and he is a GODSEND!! Instead of trying everything else that everyone else has done and didn't work, which is what everyone else did, he brought up the SCS. I was like "hell yeah, I'll try it!" OH MY GOD! It was love at the third (day) sight of my trial!! Needless to say I am going to see the surgeon next week to get this scheduled!! I can't believe that I didn't feel pain, well, I had some procedure pain, but not MY pain! I never thought that I was going to be able to live the life that I wanted, or to really be truly happy, or screw it (sorry for language) to just LIVE! That is why my screen name is Back2life!! I can not wait for my implant! Knowing that there is light at the end of the tunnel is the only thing that is keeping my going right now!!!!

So, for the people who have had the implant, about how long is the recovery time? I know that everyone is different, but I was just trying to get an idea!

Back2life and can't wait to start living!!!!!!

Brenda
Back2life is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mark56 (04-01-2010)