View Single Post
Old 03-30-2010, 10:05 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Vaccine/immune therapy for PD is definitely a new approach and I am happy to see that finally inflammation and immune responses are the targets for therapy. I am not familiar with the Austrian group's work but from their press release seems pretty good. Nebraska group has solid data and publications to show that nitrated alpha-syn and T cell responses are involved in PD and I will watch their progression from experimental animals to humans with great interest. As always, mice to human extrapolation is easier on paper than in life.....

another thing to watch out is developing a vaccine or immune responses to alpha-syn. Alpha-syn is a normal component of human body, not a viral or pathogen product. So designing of antigens from alpha-syn can be a challenge. Looks like both these groups have found ways to address this issue. IF this approach works, it will halt the progression of PD not the initiation! Its a good start!

What I am most excited about is that these immune therapies are aimed at decreasing or abolishing inflammatory responses. Once inflammation and associated neural cell death is under control, there is a reason to beleive that stem cell therapy or growth factor-based therapy will be successful. Without inflammation, transplanted cells can grow and may even help in the regeneration of one's own neuronal cells. It would be so nice to have all the neurons back to functioning.

Needless to say I am quite excited about this novel approach of neuroprotection in PD! Its in line with my ideas and hypothesis!!!

Girija
girija is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote