View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010, 12:11 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

This has reminded me of a new person at my Dad's nursing home. he was a WWII 2nd Lieutenant and local business owner. Now he gets lost in the same building and can't find his room or remember anything.

So sad .... his wife is also a resident but lives in the assisted living part, they are both 92 years old. I have seen signs in her just talking with her daily that she too is having issues recalling things or places she should know. She was upset that her kids got her to stop driving and sell her car. She was also upset that her house was being sold .... it is her money but she is upset anyway.

It is a tough thing getting old and needing help.

Alzheimer's is so terrible .... his roomate is a former science highschool teacher and he cannot even carry a conversation that makes sense other than the small everyday chit chat.

Another guy in there with Dementia I have spoken to everyday since August of last year, I have not been able to understand what he is talking about ever, not even once. Mostly senseless jibberish about nothing. "Hi there handsom, I went donw to the thing today and threw in another thing while balancing a girlman upstairs in the laundy basket. i take it out the thing and put it in the other thing .... okay thank you. I'm going to go upstairs and swim in the pond *makes a masturbation immitation and funny googly eyed look*". But he is always friendly until someone tries to help him with something that he has to be told like to sit down and have dinner. he starts getting beligerant and swears, slams doors and tries to punch people.

5 minutes later he is friendly and forgot what he just did. I try to talk to these people normally just so they can get some sense of normalcy. I nod my head in agreement when they something totally out there that makes no sense and agree with them like I understand. I found that 80% of the residents there have some form of Dementia or Alzheimers.

I found it amazing how their whole life is whatever is in front of them at that moment only.

I see a lot of sadness with family members there, I am no longer sad and have accepted that nothing can be done and change is not possible. I remember my Dad how he was and not how he is now.

Part of his day is my visiting so i always do unless I have a bad cold and per nursing home policy stay away until it is gone.

I feel so much for anyone dealing with family members in this situation. There isn;t any more I can say about that I guess.

Best wishes to all.
megatrends is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (04-01-2010), HeadHurts (07-31-2012), tecky (03-08-2012)