View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010, 05:55 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default I am really hopeful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girija View Post
Vaccine/immune therapy for PD is definitely a new approach and I am happy to see that finally inflammation and immune responses are the targets for therapy. I am not familiar with the Austrian group's work but from their press release seems pretty good. Nebraska group has solid data and publications to show that nitrated alpha-syn and T cell responses are involved in PD and I will watch their progression from experimental animals to humans with great interest. As always, mice to human extrapolation is easier on paper than in life.....

another thing to watch out is developing a vaccine or immune responses to alpha-syn. Alpha-syn is a normal component of human body, not a viral or pathogen product. So designing of antigens from alpha-syn can be a challenge. Looks like both these groups have found ways to address this issue. IF this approach works, it will halt the progression of PD not the initiation! Its a good start!

What I am most excited about is that these immune therapies are aimed at decreasing or abolishing inflammatory responses. Once inflammation and associated neural cell death is under control, there is a reason to beleive that stem cell therapy or growth factor-based therapy will be successful. Without inflammation, transplanted cells can grow and may even help in the regeneration of one's own neuronal cells. It would be so nice to have all the neurons back to functioning.

Needless to say I am quite excited about this novel approach of neuroprotection in PD! Its in line with my ideas and hypothesis!!!

Girija
Thanks, Girija. I am so extremely hopeful over this potential new approach; this is the only theory I have heard in a long while that actually seems to make sense.

I have had such a bad week with my medications and just feeling so lowsy. It's frustrating in that they work well, but the delivery system is so grossly inadequate.

I'm not sure why more of us are not excited over this? This really is a watershed for us as patients. It has been over 40 years since the introduction of our "gold standard" levodopa. If I am not mistaken, this is the first time ever, researchers have come so close to treating the pathogenesis involved, not merely masking symptoms or simply making them more tolerable.

From an Affiris press release (Austrian pharma):

Due to a completely innovative effect approach this vaccine could for the first time offer a chance of treating the causes of Parkinson's disease.

Girija, is this true do you know? or is it publicity hype?

I don't know, but I just started crying when I read that maybe it's because I largely felt crappy this week and reading this just gave me the boost I needed and restored my hope.

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote