View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010, 09:33 AM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Mo,

It is so true that when most people are in the dental chair, they're scared to some degreee, don't know what questions to ask, and feel helpless about making the right decision. So naturally they put their trust in the dentist who should be honest enough to make the right choice for that patient. It is so unfair that a person should feel like they have no choice but to go along.

Based on all that you have posted here, the recommendation to have the tooth extracted was probably the best treatment option because the bone could have been cleaned up and possibly regrowth of bone could have been achieved with a bone grafting procedure which would increase the success of placing an implant in the future.

Let me give you a clearer visual of what has happened...

Root canaled tooth= non vital, necrotic, diseased, fractured(?).

Some irreplaceable bone loss caused by the long standing disease process from all of the above.

Apico= additional bone loss, additional irritation and inflammation to the bone, procedure does not stabilize or positively alter the necrotic, diseased condition of the tooth.

Bone grafting= positive regrowth of bone when placed in healthy bone.... little to no solid regrowth of bone when placed in diseased bone.

These are the things that your dentist(s) should have discussed with you. I didn't post them here until now because I assumed you were having the tooth removed.

This is an unsettling situation to say the least and you have not been informed properly. Please don't feel like you are alone in this or that you did anything wrong. This situation occurs too frequently unfortunately. I urge you to monitor this tooth radiographically twice a year because this tooth and the surrounding bone is not healthy and it will show radiographic pathology before it gives you symptoms.

I'm sorry to bring you this crappy news....... I wish I could make it better. Please keep in touch.......

Bryanna

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo27 View Post
Bryanna,
Thanks for responding! I know. I cant help but wonder if i am delaying the inevitable, but I wasn't left with much choice I guess. Everything seems to be so conflicting from one dr. to the next and it makes it almost impossible to know what the "right" decision is for someone who has very minimal knowledge about dentistry u know? Especially when I'm sitting in the chair!
I guess they are hoping that maybe my tooth isn't actually fractured and that this will help heal the tooth? I don't know. I wouldn't go through another apico in the future. I'm sure if this doesnt "work" they are still going to tell me to have the tooth removed. I have to go back in 3 wks to see how this went. Thanks for your help. I definitely am unsure of this situation, but we will see. Ill keep u posted!
Bryanna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote