Thread: Ideas for Rach
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 03:13 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Heart

I almost can't look up any more about this topic, Rach. It's very upsetting.

I have found out that the reason some doctors give Atropine is as a "premedication" so that someone with MG does not go into any kind of exacerbation or crisis when given the Tensilon.

I have not read anywhere that it is a "part of" the Tensilon test. It would be illogical to use it in that way or use it as a "diagnostic tool" to see if someone has MG. Even when they inject something for the sodium channel CMS, it is Tensilon before the repetitive nerve stimulation.

Atropine, apparently, has a much longer "half life" or life than Tensilon. We're talking HOURS.

http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed...nfo.cfm?id=649

Here is the protocol of the Tensilon test from WUSTL:

http://neuromuscular.wustl.edu/mtime/mgdx.html

Yes, it is indeed concerning that a leading expert would not know what Atropine does to the sodium channel CMS. And it is also concerning that he would give you a drug, as part of a protocol, that could've tanked you if you had MG, would obviously counteract any effect of the Tensilon and would result in you not getting the results you so desperately need. Not to mention the financial aspects of this.

I find this highly unethical. The neuro who did my Tensilon test was so careful. He only gave me 2 mg. of Tensilon at a time, which I did not know until after the test. I responded immediately and dramatically. They can give UP TO 10 mg. I wonder how much you had. And I have to wonder how much Atropine they gave you.

I know there are good doctors out there. I have good doctors. But how are we supposed to trust doctors in general when they do this kind of thing? When they keep test results from you, as in Ally and my case?

Seriously, didn't these guys go to medical school? And if they don't know something, they can readily look it up. And I have to ask, how many other of this doctor's patients have been given this protocol and not been properly diagnosed?

This is what is really upsetting. If this guy is smart, then he WOULD know what Atropine was all about. Was he giving you the Atropine to avoid a potential lawsuit due to a cholinergic crisis? I know that sounds absurd but how can this guy not know what the drug does when he is using it? It is completely nonsensical.

Rach, I am so sorry to have even brought this up but I believe the truth is so important. I am sorry you were treated in this manner. I honestly believe, if you did respond to the Atropine, that you need to be tested for the CMS-related genetic disorders. Did they videotape this test? Send a DVD copy off to Dr. Bruno Eymard in Paris and ask him what he thinks.

I'm really sorry for all you have to deal with right now.

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote