View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 04:15 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I was placed on IVIG for small fiber neuropathy, for a + lip biopsy, with a clinical diagnosis of Sjogren's. Undifferentiated Connective Tissue Disease IS a diagnosis....it is not a non-diagnosis. UCTD is when one has symptoms of several autoimmune disease, but fails to meet any one specific disease, and it falls along the Scleroderma spectrum. Given you have Raynaud's, it seems to me that you fall along that spectrum. Given they have diagnosed this, and you have neuropathy, why not treat you?

UCTD means they have determined you have autoimmune disease.

You may seroconvert much later....as I did....and then they may still hem and haw...as with my highly+ANA with nucleolar pattern...alas.

Also consider having Igenex run a Lyme test on you....just a thought.

I agree you should be treated.

Which treatment do you think would be best for you at this time?

Perhaps you should ask why you are not being treated. Challenge it.

No, your insurance company should not stand in the way of what your doctor recommends. I successfully fought mine. You may need to fight for the treatment that you and your doctor agree on.

And yes, all the symptoms you describe can be from autonomic neuropathy due to small fiber degeneration....what that is due to, is always a huge, huge journey of diagnosis....not always fruitful.

Also, there is a great deal of emphasis on ANA, when doctors after you get the + ANA, will then disregard it. It is really very frustrating.

Often to get IVIG, some insurers want you to have failed drugs like Plaquenil, methotrexate and steroids....Check your policy and see if it requires a positive ANA, or if polyneuropathy is covered. I don't understand why they have not at least offered you Plaquenil.

I have the +ANA, and they are still dinking with diagnosis, other than Sjs, but I do get IVIG, thank goodness. Keep trying. And it did take me decades to figure out I had autoimmune disease....I am not sure that Sjogren's is the answer tho.

Sjogren's is not UCTD. Neuropathy is not SjS. Neuropathy can be autoimmune or not autoimmune and it causes the same symptoms, all of which are extremely similar to autoimmune disease. Docs are increasingly reticent to diagnose lately, due to the huge overlap. It does leave people in limbo, me included. But I do get IVIG, which, if you ask me today, now that I am over the last post infusion crud (severe migraine, puking, flu like feeling for 3 days), I feel pretty darn good today, but nowhere near normal....better tho...lots better. Biggest difference is more energy.

Others not so bad:
cyclelops is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote