Thread: prednisone
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 08:07 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by draggin' View Post
thanks for the replies. Sooooo, are you saying that, since this is only for 12 days, its not going to do anything?
Yes, that's what I'm saying but not being a doctor can only cite my own experience and what I have read of others' and researching sources online.
As Annie says, sometimes you can get worse initially with pred or if the dose is too high and there are lots of references to this tho it didn't happen to me.

The following is a paragraph from an article at this link:

http://www.australianprescriber.com/...e/30/6/156/60/

"Prednisone

Prednisone or another corticosteroid is the primary immunosuppressant used in myasthenia gravis. Sustained improvement or remission can be achieved while patients remain on treatment. A typical course for generalised myasthenia gravis would use 1 mg/kg prednisone daily (0.5 mg/kg for ocular myasthenia gravis) until clinical control is achieved and then weaning either directly or by initial conversion to alternate daily dosage, with the determination of a maintenance dose by trial and error during a slow withdrawal of medication over many months. Deterioration in myasthenia gravis can occur in the first few weeks of treatment so the dose is often increased slowly. The mean time to maximal effect of prednisone in myasthenia gravis is six months - much longer than most expect."

All the best
Marian

Last edited by Melisma; 04-01-2010 at 08:19 PM. Reason: To add an afterthought
Melisma is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote