Thread: SCS Newbie
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2010, 09:56 PM
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Grand Magnate

10 yr Member
Thumbs up EXCELLENT point Mark brings up!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark56 View Post
One of my thoughts going into this is that the Trial is not complete unless the patient can try SOME of their pre-injury activity so to know first hand whether going full bore into the implant is a real good fit for them. Even so, were I to be allowed some activity during Trial, I would think discretion is necessary not to move those leads!

Mark56
SO GLAD you mentioned this!

YES! I've heard of several accounts where the patient was given so many restrictions during the trial, that they literally were NOT able to achieve a realistic and honest overview as to whether or not the implant would benefit them.
Ultimately, they went ahead and opted for the permanent and ended up disappointed because they found it wasn't able to help them achieve their pain relief as they tried to carry on with a normal routine.

When i asked about the restrictions during the trial, my Dr literally said "common sense! No cartwheels of course, but DO go out and attempt to do the things your chronic condition has kept you from doing!" This is the only way you'll be able to get an accurate assessment.

The STRICT restrictions are meant more for the permanent implant rather than the trial. The trial is gonna come out anyway, so if, say you BLT (bend/lift/twist) beyond your means during the trial, that isn't gonna render you in a long term regret. DO test the limits (is what my Dr said)

NOTE: this is simply me sharing my personal experience. Not meant to encourage anything that would go against what YOUR doctor advises. Always follow your Dr's instructions, regardless of what you read here as a testimony!

The post surgical restrictions for the permanent implant is what is most imperative.....those leads need to scar in place to avoid repeated visits to the docs office getting 're-adjusted'

Anyway, thank you Mark ....... you're always a step ahead....
Rrae is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mark56 (04-05-2010)