View Single Post
Old 01-27-2007, 01:52 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Ron I got the name wrong. But as dumb as I am I would like to ask a question of you. If this is a sugar and the BBB can be passed by nicotine and caffein etc do you think the usage of these products that came more into our lives in the last hundred years could have been carriers if associated with Mannitol and sugars especially the artificial ones.

Thanks

One current treatment option involves weakening the connection between the endothelial cells that comprise the BBB. This treatment is especially useful as chemotherapy to suppress the growth of a tumor in the brain.

An arterially injected sugar solution called Mannitol shrinks the individual endothelial cells by osmotic force. Chemotherapy drugs can then diffuse into the brain through the gaps between the cells.

A patient who has chosen this option must actually be admitted to the hospital during treatment. Vital signs must be carefully monitored in case an infection develops while the BBB is in a vulnerable state. Throughout this the patient remains alert with normal cognitive functioning for several hours. A typical patient would be in the hospital for three to five days depending on their treatment and individual needs. The BBB returns to its normal, tight state once the Mannitol has been re-absorbed into the blood stream.
Thelma is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote