View Single Post
Old 04-02-2010, 05:20 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David G View Post
Hi,
I presently have a nonfunctioning Left Diaphram due to a lack of transmission thru the Phrenic Nerve. This happened at the same time I had a window cut in my Pericardiam that surrounds the heart. I believe that my Phrenic Nerve was cut in half or cut enough to stop its functioning. I have had multiple EMG's done on my left Phrenic Nerve that shows no transmission or continuity in that nerve. It has been 14 months since this procedure was done and if it was an inflamation of the nerve it would have subsided with all the Steriods and anti inflamatories I have been on... Has your diaphram started functioning again? I need to find out if there is any way that the medical community can find out for sure whether the Phrenic Nerve was cut or just tramautized beyond belief? I have been told that if functioning hasn't returned with in a year you can pretty much forget about that Diaphram ever functioning again? And before I go under the knife again to have a Placation done I want to make sure that I have exhausted any chance of that nerve functioning again. In case you don't know a Placation is not reversible they sew the diaphram in its lowest position so your Lung can expand the most because over a period of time the Diaphram naturally starts rising.
David G
David,
My diaphragm ended up in my chect cavity and I was msierable to say the least. I had a nerve transplant to reconect the phrenic nerve to the diaphragm. Is this going to be a success? To early to tell. The surgery has changed my life that I can now lay flat on my back and breath. I can tie my shoes w/o gasping for breath and I no longer feel like I was force fed to the point of being sick. So yes I feel like there was a victory even if nothing else happens. The time frame is 8-14 months to know if the nerve does its job becase it has to regrow. This happens at the rete of a mm / day. I was not a candidate for plication due to the severity of my condition. the Drs sent me to the Kessler institute for rehab in NJ for testing before they woould even talk to me. They want success so if they don't feel your a candidate they wont do a needless operation. The world is watching and they have plans to teach this technique in the future. If this is of interest I can give you more information. Ross
fredebassett is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote