View Single Post
Old 01-27-2007, 03:00 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Chat Just a thought... Susan, how about OT???

Quote:
Originally Posted by misreable View Post
I have called several PT. places didn't know any thing about desenatising skin-cant' spell the wd.
right.
Concerned
Susan
Susan, how about OT? I have a desensitization program at physical therapy, because my physical therapists have borrowed stuff from the occupational therapists. Things like desensitization sticks, towels, pillowcases, sand, rice, and water work well.

At PT for desensitization they rub towels/ sticks on my sensitive areas, I use the whirlpool (water/ movement at the same time), something called "Fluidotherapy" (which is ground up corn husks heated up, and you stick your arm in it, and it gets turned on so they blow all around your arm) and just wearing clothes is therapy! (See, with my arms wearing a long sleeved shirt hurts as it rubs on my skin, but with wearing short sleeves I feel everyone's every breath, movement, etc... so either way... THERAPY... really! Just living is therapy, because you have to do so many things that hurt. So I feel pretty well desensitized by the end of the day, between PT, wearing clothes, being out in the air, touching things (even the computer mouse and keyboard) and so on.

Try doing anything you can, slow... With doing it yourself it makes it extremely hard not to go slow... it's hard to do something that hurts repeatedly on yourself. KWIM? Well, my physical therapist knew that was the case with me, and so he had me stop rubbing a pillowcase on my arm, and HE rubbed a TOWEL on my arm (OWWWWWW!!!)... I screamed and hollared, but I think things are starting to improve with that. I told him it felt like he was cutting my arms all over. But I have to learn to tolerate it, so I know it's got to be done.

Hope I helped.
InHisHands is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote