View Single Post
Old 01-27-2007, 04:17 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Rachel,

Cara's information is very good. She has taken what I did and run with it way beyond the goal posts.

There has been sooooo much research for so many decades that even a particularly good mainstream textbook has had no qualms for many years about saying B12 is safe in very large repetitive doses. And the B12 the textbook refers to is the cheapest in lowest in quality. If any were to cause a problem it would be the cyanocobalamin type.

Quote:
Goldman: Cecil medical textbook:

page 867

... Because cobalamin (B12) is inexpensive and free of any side effects, it is better to give too much than too little. One approach consists of injections of 1000 mug (mcg) of cyanocobalamin once per week for 8 weeks and then once per month for life. More frequent injections are often used in hospitalized patients or those with marked neuropsychiatric abnormalities ... Once the weekly injections are completed, the patient or a family member or friend can be taught to give the monthly injections. The absolute requirement of lifetime therapy must be well understood by the patient. Oral therapy with cobalamin in a dose of 10 mug/day can be used with strict vegetarians. In theory, such low-dose therapy could also be used in individuals who malabsorb food cobalamin, but this approach is not recommended because their intrinsic factor production is often precarious and may decrease further over the years. Oral cobalamin therapy in a dose of 1000 to 2000 mug/day has recently *(many years ago now) been shown to be as effective and possibly superior to the standard parenteral regimen. Oral cobalamin, 1000 to 2000 mug/day *(mcg per day, which is equaivalent to 1 mg perday), is the treatment of choice for most patients.

*(paranthetical information added by rose) Bolding for emphasis added by rose.
In fact, in recent decades much research has shown that huge (daily injections, even in a person who cannot discard B12 with the urine) doses of methylcobalamin are safe.

If I were you, I would prefer to take at least 1000 mcg methylcobalamin, either in addition to or instead of the shots.

rose

rose is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote