View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010, 03:28 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Never thought of NIH

Quote:
Originally Posted by girija View Post
Hi All,
I havenot read all the posts, just Harley's suggestion of we should put up a meeting. Love that idea! very exciting. I wanted to say it doesnt have to be too fancy or too expensive.

Yes, We can dream and make it a reality! it can be done! we may not have resorts to stay, but I can offer San Diego as a venue!! This thread is going into the poster!!!!!

Hi all,
just checked the NIH website, they do have this category of grants. chek it out.

H13 Community Services Program Conferences Active To support international, national, or regional conferences, symposiums, or workshops dealing with services for the rehabilitation, prevention, and treatment of categorical diseases.
Girija
Girija,

I am going to attempt a combo reply here. I wanted to respond more to your post of yesterday. I know what you are saying; I think, that in raising awareness, it's as if I am wearing the PD on my sleeve. You don't want the PD to ever overshadow or define you as a person, but this is precisely why we want to raise awareness. The more people who know that we are out there "hiding" behind our meds; the more they see that we are more like them, than different (not a celebrity) and hear what we go through, the PD shrinks away and they see the person first. I think we both actually have the same goal; it's just that ironically we have to exploit the PD in order to desensitize people. I hope that makes sense.

I just love Harley's idea too; and it is more a grounded way of what Rose and I hope to accomplish with raising awareness. We briefly talked of a 501c status for our activist group; the patient centered meeting could definitely be part and funded by what we raise or with grant monies. Please continue on how we might select a venue, program workshops, etc.

A disclaimer: I mentioned several forum members who seemed natural to me for leading workshop--I didn't mean to volunteer them! Just easier to envision how everything might work together.

I will start collecting ideas and interested people may PM me- I am thinking of starting a wiki online for collaborative work...let's see how far this goes.

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Fiona (04-07-2010), girija (04-04-2010), harley (04-04-2010), rose of his heart (04-04-2010)