View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Get a handle on all these options?

PT, since I'd had it before [for an injury] I knew that w/good therapists it can and does help. Why? Because when your HURT your body is telling you to keep still and it won't hurt as much.....But, in being still? You lose lots of muscle tone and w/injured or dead nerves as well, you can and must re-learn how to use your body properly again, w/no compensations [compensation is good at times? But you pick up bad habits in the process-they are hard to un-learn.
OT is all about safety? Scatter rugs and walkers or canes plus dead feet are a no-no. Cooking when you can't truly feel HOT! is also a problem.... Having grab bars where you mite need them WHEN you mite need them is also essentiial. Even walker or cane height, if properly adjusted, can truly make a difference! OT has limited uses, but can at times, plug you into good resources when and if you need them. Depends on how extensive your PN is.
Talking to others, in a counseling setting? Gee I wish I had that when I came down w/this awful pain thing! You'd be surprised to learn how well or not others cope, and that they are nearby and real! Some of them mite just have coping tricks up their sleeves that could be useful. Just don't let this type of thing go on 'forever' as sometimes the counselors want you to do? Most insurances don't allow that 'forever' part and it can get rich for you. Save some 'visits' for later in case they are needed even more then.
The most important aspects to keep in mind [especially to keep labeling at bay?] is to keep asking questions about WHAT IS REALLY GOING ON? And, This works, but That doesn't and try and articulate why in a very clear and concise manner -no emotion...,just the facts!
Last clue to keep things in control? Pick ONE doc to prescribe all of your pain meds, and that THAT doc KNOWS all other meds you are on! It'd be OK to, say take, a 5 day script for pain meds from the ER if you've damaged yourself...but be sure the prescribing doc knows what's happened and can either call in [usually these days for a fee] or mail you a script to be filled by you and your plan.
Then? Save the pain meds - use them sparingly, to be used for when you REALLY need them! IF you use them all the time? They become less effective, IF you use them WHEN you really and truly need them? Then, and only then do so. My own pain prescriber knows this of me, and has never denied me pain meds when I really truly needed them! I also know? IF I took them regularly? I would be a mental zombie ...that is me tho. Not you.
's and keep on track, you are getting closer and better in getting all the help you need! -j
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote