View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010, 11:23 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Please do not use the words TLE with mental illness. A psychiatrist will not treat your Neurological illness which the epileptologists can. The shrink treats psychiatric illneses. They are not the same thing. It is too easy to dump neuro problems in the psychiatric basket because they can't see it and really are not educated well enough in epilepsy to be able to tell the difference. Psychiatrists and most neurologists do not have all the tools available to treat it properly either. You wouldn't go to a General Surgeon for an operation on your heart nor would you go to a neurosurgeon who specializes in spinal cord injury and peripheral nerves for an operation on your brain. It has to be the doc with the right training. I have given you the best advice I know. Do what you have to to get to a comprehensive epilepsy center which as I wrote is to get your PCP to do the referral They also are the ones to deal with the insurance co to get them to cover it, not you. They paid for all of mine with the right referrals etc, so if the right people do it and give the right information, they prob will cover yours too. You do need your PCP to have a reason for the referral and you have that from three docs. I would be surprised if the ins co did ot pay for it. Docs office does that part. Good luck with that. You do seem to be having seizues, but until those are dealt with, your life should not change much. They get worse if not stopped, so it is important to deal with them specifically and stop them. If the psychiatrist and another doc has told you that they think you are having seizures, I'd be headed to fix hat problem with the right doc, epileptologist. I did not have any of this information for the majority of my life. It would have had a huge effect on my quality of life had I had this information years ago. It is now up to you. Good luck and let us know your progress. Tattoo
Tattoo2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote