View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 07:02 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Happy Easter to all.

Lindy, thank you for the last reply. I just realized that I never got around to replying to you.

Since I am home this weekend I figured I would post an update.

My mother is still taking the IR and the CR, three times per day. My feelings are still the same regarding her present state, as I mentioned in my previous post. I feel she lost some of the gains that she realized while taking the IR and the IR only. I was talking to her yesterday, and she asked me if I thought her voice sounded funny. I told her that I felt she was making much larger strides while on the IR only. She responded by telling me that when she was on the IR for the first week, she felt much better than she had, prior to taking any medication. Then she said the next week she felt a little worse, then by the third week she said she felt no benefit. She describes her experience while taking the IR and the CR as being the same. She felt some initial relief, but now it is gone.

Our neighbors came over last Saturday to chat for a bit. They had not seen my mother since around Christmas time. They said that they noticed a remarkable improvement in her physical appearence, the strength of her voice, and her ability to construct sentences and participate in general conversation. They mentioned that around Christmas time, they felt that my mother really had to "think" before making a statement, and that sometimes she struggled to find the words to say. I had also noticed this at one point in time, and now that I am bit more educated on Parkinson's, the idea of thinking a bit more slowly closely relates to the brain attempting to send messages to the legs and arms, but the messages being delayed in their arrival.

Lindy, you touched upon my question regarding the possibility of being over-medicated your previous response. Our next neuro appointment is the 26th of April. Does anyone have any specific experience with being on too much l-dopa at one time? If so, were the symptoms such that there was really no relief from the PD symptoms? They always say that too much of "anything"is not good, and I wondering if that statement holds true for PD patients and their l-dopa.

Thanks,

Matt
SmittyZ3M is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote