View Single Post
Old 04-04-2010, 09:50 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

This is so minor compared with what you are all writing about, but I know you'll understand. Awareness. Yesterday I took my husband's stick shift car to the store. I almost never drive that car. I pulled into the lot so I could just go forward when it came time to leave, but just as I turned the key, a guy pulled his old Mercedes nose to nose with my car. His wife went into the store and he sat and stared at me. I couldn't get the car into reverse. He glared. I didn't want to hit him. I got anxious and got out the manual to see if I was doing it right. He glared, then got out of his car and came over to shout at me that I didn't even know how to get my car in reverse. I shouldn't be let on the ROAD!!! (at full volume) I sat there shaking. I finally went over to him and explained it wasn't my car; I have Parkinson's; and sometimes it's difficult to make things work. His shouted response? "You shouldn't be let out of the house!! Don't you have someone who can do things for you?!!! You sure shouldn't be on the road!!" A scary part for me was what I almost shouted back, but I said nothing. Then he pulled his car next to mine, about 6 inches away. I carefully left the lot, went to another store, purchased my stuff, backed out easily and drove home.

This morning I watched the two videos posted above and read all your posts.

On a more positive note, Nov. 6 the HOPE conference in Seattle will have Dr. Jay Alberts as the keynote speaker. We will have a tandem demo on the stage so one of your suggestions is going to happen. I'll speak on behalf of my doctor too, who is always supportive of my efforts and who is happy to encourage me to lower my meds if I feel it's okay to do so. I'm too new at the disease (2.5 years) to have had all the horrible experiences you write about.

Thanks for being here.
Nan Cyclist is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
rose of his heart (04-04-2010)