Thread: How do I feel
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2010, 01:38 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Deb,
Before I go to my MS Neuro, I type a note of the symptoms I have now, and then list the ones that have gone away. And lastly, I list the three most troubling ones that I feel are my worst and label that as such.

She usually addresses them first. Not all the sensory problems, but the biggies, like my fatigue or burning legs and feet.

They don't want a too long page or rambling, for some reason, I do make it a a bit of a long page though , and hand it to the Neuro as soon as I sit in the exam room.

She prefers to read it, so do I. I have the same copy in my hands to refer to. In moments, with her smart brain, she reads it quickly, and then we discuss it.

She gives me an exam for the areas that are my most concern, and then the other Neuro exam regulars, like the pin test for numbness, etc.

I can write on paper better than I can try to sit and mention my concerns. It is faster too for both of us. She takes her own notes and keeps mine for future reference. On the bottom is the meds I need a script for so I don't forget.

To describe in one line how you are feeling is hard, but in can be done.

Example: I walk drunk-like, and lose my balance, especially in wide open spaces, if I don't hold on to something, I fall over.

That line says many things to your doctor.

Or another: I am dizzy and have trouble thinking. I can't multitask or find the right words to use.

Short and sweet, and to the point, is the most effective way to describe symptoms. Try to combine them in one sentence or they get bored reading a bunch of vague descriptions. Just tell it, or write it, like it feels to you.

Good luck tomorrow Deb. In my first years I had this problem, until I noticed how some Neuro's skipped over many on my list because they were not precise enough.

I hope my examples help you.

May happiness be at your door. May it knock early, stay late, and leave the gift of good health behind.

"Life is what it is". We can only focus on controlling those things we can control, we must let go of the things we can't.
Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
debw (04-07-2010), Kitty (04-05-2010), SallyC (04-05-2010)