View Single Post
Old 04-05-2010, 02:09 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Exclamation What is the Cause of the Numbess???

Hi all! I thought maybe someone out there may have experienced the same symptoms as mine and may be able to help! Last summer I had shingles on the right side of my neck. By August I only had redness and some occasional nerve pain on the shingles site.
Then in late september/early october I had severe lower back and right hip pain (mainly siatic pain (sp?)). The pain had no cause (aka I hadn't had an injury). I went to my chiropractor 2 times within 3 days for adjustments. I endured the pain over the weekend then went back to the chiroprator. My usual chiropractor was on vaca so I saw the chiropractor that used to own the practice. I don't know if it matters but he said "we need to lock your pelvis". He adjusted me and I went home. I took a nap in the recliner for a couple hours, then my mother woke me for dinner. When I woke up, I had what felt like charlie-horses all up and down my right leg. Nothing could help the pain, and it was so bad I couldn't help screaming out in agony. By the next morning, the bottom of my foot, all toes but my big toe, and the majority of my right leg were numb. The chiroprator adjusted me twice more. I have not gone back to the chiropractor since because of not knowing what is wrong with my numbness and not wanting it to get worse.
I went to the PA at my college and he refered me to a neurologist. I saw the neurologist in December. He wanted me to get an MRI and nerve conduction test. Due to money reasons I have not been able to recieve either test yet.
The numbness is now mainly in my baby toe, my whole heal, the baby toe side of my foot, and probably 25%-50% of my leg. The numbness does get worse here and there but the best it gets is what I have listed above. In most of the places I have numbness I can feel pressure, and I can feel deep down in my foot. I have also been getting nerve pain in my foot that is either a shooting pain, or pain that starts at a point and shoots out (kinda like spiders legs). I also have muscle spasms deep in my foot. The neurologist found that I have severe strength lose in that leg and foot, there is also a slight temperature difference between the numb areas and the unaffected areas. I have also found that I can not walk on my tip-toes on that foot, when I try to take a step on my tip-toe my heal automatically drops to the floor.
I'm hoping someone has had some experience with some/all of the symptoms and can help. I am 24yrs old, slightly over weight, and have fibromyalgia. The only meds I am on are birthcontrol. I am mainly wondering if the numbness in my leg or the siatic nerve issues I had when I was having back problems could have been caused by the shingles.
syrkrisie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote