View Single Post
Old 04-05-2010, 02:44 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Diagnosed as a child.

Hi! I was diagnosed with fibro when I was 16 or 17. My doctor and I traced the begining of my symptoms back to about 6th grade. My doctor was amazed at how early my symptoms started. I was also diagnosed with depression in my teens and tried many meds (effexor xr-which was horrible, cymbalta-I pretty much went psychotic, and paxil-I was on for many yrs) I was taken off my paxil just over a year ago and am completely depression free. My parents feel I was miss diagnosed with depression, and it was actually blues from the fibro and/or just being a teenager. I did have problems in school (mainly from the tiredness and not being able to wake up). I had to go on home tutoring in 11th grade bc I couldn't wake up in time for school, and bc of the home tutoring (the school took a long time to find a tutor, and the tutor wasn't picking up my work regularly from the school, and my teachers weren't handing my work into the office for my tutor) I graduated from high school 1yr late. I have since graduated from college with my BS in Psych. I did have problems with college due to the memory loss and brain fog, but it was nice bc I could tailor my schedule to my sleeping habits.
My fibro is in now way undercontrol. I take no meds for it, I just deal with it and live day by day. I have tried Lyrica and would love to go back on it, but it is just way too expensive.
My mine problem in everything that I have gone through was the fact that no one knew what fibro was or they thought it was no a "real medical problem". I found this a lot in my high school. College was much easier, and I made sure at the begining of each semester I would tell my teachers "If it looks like I'm falling asleep it's not you, and I can't help it bc I have fibro"...I didn't run into any teacher that was rude to me about it, they all understood.
The main thing that has helped me is working with my body and understanding it. AKA, knowing when I need to rest, sleep, am able to push myself, etc.

Good luck to you and your daughter.
syrkrisie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote