View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 07:19 AM
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb

This is a trick that may help. I have used it on two cats over the years.

It helps if the medicine is either a small tablet or capsule.

Most drugs are bitter tasting. One thing that blocks this is fat.

My first attempt with this trick was years ago in a semi feral cat who needed Keflex. She loved tuna in oil as a treat so I mixed the drug in a small amount of tuna with the oil, and gave her the undrugged little bit first.... yum...and this coats the tongue some, then she took the drugged portion easily gobbling it up and then I gave her a chaser in her dish. Worked like a charm.

The second time, was with Oreo who happens to love whipped cream. This is a treat she gets fairly often when she is good.
She was attacked by a mystery animal upNorth about 4 yrs ago and her tail was hurt, with 2 bites/ swellings on it. We were alone, but I had some Clavamox left over from Tippy, so I ground one up and mixed it in the whipped cream....put it in the center of a mound of whipped cream, and she at the whole thing! no problemo. She was in heaven with twice a day whipped cream too! LOL (we had had a cat 30 yrs ago who got bitten on the tail and developed an abscess there...so I was familiar with the treatment. I also called pet meds 1-800 for a refill, and when hubby came to get us, he brought it). When I took her to the vet 10 days later when we returned her bites were gone, but her tail was iffy still. The vet thought that she climbed a tree and whatever yanked her from behind. The nerve plexus did heal after 3 mons., and so we avoided the potential tail-ectomy which he said would have to be done..if it did not get better.

We live on an island, and usually don't have predators. We think after talking to the locals that is was a Fisher... these were brought to our area by the DNR to combat the red squirrels and the Fishers then became a nuisance instead. So one probably swam over. Fishers are called pole cats, because they look like a cat with a fluffy tail. We have never had a cat injured before or since then.

But the trick of using a fatty food to conceal a small dose of drug is a viable choice as long as the drug is okay to take with food (some aren't).

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
plgerrard (04-06-2010)