View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 10:12 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Guidance on choosing a stationary bike

After reading the immunology/vaccine theory of Gendelman at U Nebraska, I wonder if the symptom improvement is related to the anti-inflammatory benefit of exercise?

-I wonder if there are other key aspects to Dr. Albert's study especially in design of the bike. Nan mentioned that she think it easier to maintain 80-90 RPMs on an upright stationary; I'd agree there...I find it much easier to slack on a recumbent. Is the type of resistance important? There are a few types:

* Direct Tension - offers manual adjustment of resistance
* Fly wheels - similar to a regular bicycle peddling motion
* Air - resistance is achieved by peddling against the flow of air from a fan blade
* Magnetic Frictionless Resistance - the most sophisticated type of resistance, allows for more variation in level of workout

I'm thinking flywheel would be best as it is what it seems Dr. Jay first noted the difference on with PWP. Guessing that Magnetic Frictionless next best.

Am I splitting hairs on this? Looking at the Theracycle site makes it more confusing because they market a bike with movable handle bar for upper body workout and a person in a wheelchair --- I don't think this is what was used in the Cleveland Clinic studies?

My goal is to see that I can get to the force pace range for 30 minutes and
overcome foot dystonia. I would love to start cycling outside but won't do it for saftey issues- nothing like a foot cramp and a wipe out to ruin your day
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote