View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 12:09 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi Nide,
Thanks. My husband got the numbness on the bottom of his feet and toes November of 2009. the pain is so severe and he is only 43. How do you live with the pain every day? The doctor gives him xanax, and oxycodone and he takes so much of it, it is gone in 12 days instead of 30, just to relieve the pain. I really do not like to see him in that state (zombie). Also he still drinks to numb the pain. It is a horrible roller coaster. He drinks to numb the pain and what he is drinking is causing more damage. It is very very scary. He says he wants to quit though. So I am trying not to nag him. I told him this is his body, and he has to live with it everyday. He needs a lifestyle change. But it is his choice, and then I drop it. He drinks about 6 beers a day. It used to be a lot more, years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nide44 View Post
I did hear that neuropathy gets worse with smoking due to the circulation.

I don't know where you heard that but you are misinformed.
Every case is different and smoking has not been studied in relationship to neuropathy so there are no studies or cases to suggest that smoking has any causal relationship to PN.

I have alcoholic neuropathy (for close to 12 years now). I stopped drinking completely for 5 years when I was first diagnosed. The PN did not progress, but it did not regress, either. Alcoholic PN is chronic, with no known cure. It is with me for life.
BTW, I've been a smoker for 50 years.
monika is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote