View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 08:29 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default New Member

Hi there, I'm new to this site. I had 2 SCS implant trials before finally having the permanent implant surgery on December 16, 2009. I have been dealing with chronic pain since 2001 as a result of scarring and lymphedema from cancer surgeries and from degenerative joint disease of the sacro-illiac joint.

Prior to my scs implant I'd tried most of the pain medications available as well as having gone through 2 experimental treatments (dextromethorphan and ketamine injections).

Since having the implant, my djd pain has been reduced by about 70% but it has not helped my lymphedema pain at all. I continue to take Dilaudid and norco for pain as well as using lidoderm patches.

As I'm at 4 months post-implant, I've started back to some of my normal routines but continue to watch how much weight I'm lifting. One of my unanswered questions regarding this implant is if I'll ever be able to ride horses again. Horses are a huge part of my life and I initially turned down having the implant after my first trial because the implant would interfere too much with caring for my animals. The past 4 months have been very trying as I've not been able to care for my animals ( I have 2 horses, 3 dogs, 4 ducks, a chicken, 6 parakeets, and 2 tanks of fish!) My poor mother has been having to care for the animals for me.

If anyone knows anyone with an SCS implant who has horses, I would love to hear how they are managing their horses and if they are able to ride with their implant.
Hicktomboy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote