View Single Post
Old 04-07-2010, 08:23 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Crazy s/p ACDF C4-7

ACDF with ischial bone graft C5-6 1997, ACDF with hardware and ischial bone graft C6-7 2006, removal of hardware C6-7, ACDF C4-5 with synthetic BMP, new hardware C4-C7 4/1/2010.
6 days post op and my neck swelling has increased. I have tried, and failed, cutting back on narcotics. Diphenhydramine seems to help with swelling. I can swallow, but with great difficulty, and I need to whisper to talk.
This surgery was more involved than the last two, but the healing process seems to be out of proportion. By one week post op, I was already back down to regular hydrocodone/APAP 5/500 every 4-6 hrs. I am currently taking hydrocodone 10/325 X 1-2 every 4 hrs. Plus zanaflex and xanax. I don't eat much because of the swallowing issue, and I haven't been able to obtain liquid vitamins yet (didn't know it would be an issue). Water, water, water and sleep, sleep , sleep has been my recovery schedule thus far.
My surgeon does not want me to wear a neck brace. Anyone else have the same issues? How much longer to turn the corner?
Any thoughts on how I can speed this up? I am a nurse. My first f/u appt is in a week.
RockyMountainRN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote